Not found what you were looking for? Please call +31 (0)20 573 03 50 for more info!
What is a medical spa
A medical spa, also known as a medi-spa, is a hotel or resort that combines traditional spa services with medical procedures to provide a comprehensive approach to health, wellbeing and beauty. The difference between a ‘normal’ health resort and a medical spa, is that a medical spa is supervised by a medical director. Medical spas typically offer a variety of treatments and services, including impressive, technology-based treatments to get a true understanding of your health and wellbeing, through a variety of medical tests that can reveal which treatments, activities and nutrition would be most beneficial for you. Apart from those medical tests, a medi-spa also offers a wide range of traditional spa treatments such as massages, facials or pedicures. Some medi-spas offer cosmetic treatments, such as injectables, laser treatments and other cosmetic treatments
A medical spa is always supervised by a medical director who is a licensed physician. The director is responsible for overseeing the medical and spa treatments, ensuring that all treatments are performed safely and that all staff members are properly trained and licensed. The medical director may also be involved in developing treatment plans, performing medical consultations and overseeing the use of medical-grade equipment. A side note on this: while doctors typically supervise medical spas, not all treatments are necessarily performed by a physician. Some treatments may be performed by licensed nurse practitioners, physician assistants or registered nurses who work under the supervision of the medical director.
What to expect from a Medical Spa
The goal of a medical spa is to provide a safe way to improve overall health and wellbeing. Guests can receive treatments in a comfortable, relaxed environment, and medical spas typically offer a more personalized approach to care than traditional medical clinics or hospitals. If you have a specific health or wellbeing goal, and you would like to do this under supervision of a medical doctor, then a medical spa could be a great option for you. Medical spas have become increasingly popular in recent years, with professional programmes that might aid your health and wellbeing goals, such as help quitting smoking, back pain relief, long covid or reuma. Spa lovers can still be able to enjoy treatments that are part of a typical luxury spa holiday, but with the added benefits of modern-day technologies and expert medical staff. Apart from technology-based and spa treatments, medical spas can also offer aesthetic treatments and address issues ranging from specific skin issues and healthy ageing.
The benefits of a medical spa
- Safe, effective treatments and advanced technology: Medical spas provide many modern and up-to-date treatments. Choosing a rejuvenating healthy ageing holiday at a medical spa, rather than surgical procedures will really reflect in your skin, body and therefore your mind too. Many healthy ageing spa programmes combine treatments and exercises for youthfulness, complemented with skin and nutrition consultations. Leading medical spas have the latest and most up-to-date equipment, which make treatments and procedures as safe and effective as possible.
- Improved Appearance: Treatments like Botox injections, dermal fillers and laser skin resurfacing can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging, giving patients a more youthful and refreshed look.
- Personalized Care: Medical spas offer a more personalized approach to care, allowing patients to receive treatments and services tailored to their specific needs and goals.
- Relaxation: Medical spas offer a peaceful and relaxing environment, making it easier for patients to unwind and de-stress. Being in a professional environment like a medical spa will ease your mind and keep you calm, especially knowing you have a Thai massage booked later that day, rather than being in a public clinic, with doctors and patients hurrying around. This will make your recovery relaxing, stress-free and therefore speedy. It is important to ease emotional and physical pain, and medical spas offer as much time as you need to make the most out of your treatment and recover from any health issues.
- Convenient Care: Medical spas typically offer extended hours, making it easier for patients to fit treatments into their busy schedules.
- Improved Overall Health: Treatments like massages, facials, and body treatments can improve circulation, boost the immune system and reduce stress levels, all of which contribute to improved overall health and well-being.
- Non-Invasive Treatments: Many of the treatments offered at medical spas are non-invasive, meaning they do not require surgery.
- Services offered: In addition to the treatments mentioned earlier, medical spas may offer services such as microdermabrasion, dermal fillers, micro-needling, photofacials, and body contouring treatments. Some medical spas also offer wellness services like acupuncture, massage therapy and nutritional counseling.
- Qualified staff: Medical spas are required to have licensed medical professionals on staff, such as a medical doctor, a registered nurse, a physician assistant, or an aesthetician. These professionals are responsible for performing medical procedures and overseeing the facility's operations. It is essential to check the credentials of the staff before choosing a medical spa.
- Cost: Medical spa treatments are typically more expensive than traditional spa treatments due to the specialized equipment. Prices may vary depending on the treatment and the location of the facility.