Not found what you were looking for? Please call +31 (0)20 573 03 50 for more info!
What is the purpose of a fitness or active holidays?
A fitness holiday can help you to restart your exercise and sport goals. It may help you to discover which type of sport you enjoy most. Or it could help you in achieving your specific goal (improved fitness levels, weight loss, muscle mass). As you will find various outdoor activities or fitness classes at a health resort, there is plenty to discover. Tennis. Personal training. Golf. Pilates. Swimming. Yoga. Tai chi. Bootcamp. Fitness. Surfing. Sub or diving. Once you’ve found something that’s a good fit for you, it’s much easier to keep it up once back home.
Why is exercise so important for our health
Fitness, Sport and exercise is essential for maintaining good health and reducing the risk of many health conditions. Regular exercise helps you feel lighter, fitter and healthier. Happier, even. Exercise keeps muscles and joints supple, improves physical condition, stimulates circulation and boosts the immune system.
We listed some of the physical and mental benefits:
- It improves mental health: Exercise releases endorphins, which are natural mood-boosters that can help reduce stress, anxiety, and symptoms of depression.
- It strengthens the heart and improves cardiovascular health: Exercise strengthens the heart, improves blood flow, and lowers blood pressure, reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- It helps maintain a healthy weight: Regular exercise helps burn calories and maintain a healthy weight, reducing the risk of obesity and related health conditions.
- It builds muscle and bone density: Exercise helps build and maintain muscle mass and bone density, reducing the risk of age-related muscle and bone loss.
- It boosts our immune system function: Exercise can help boost the immune system, reducing the risk of illness and disease.
- It helps control chronic conditions: Regular exercise can help manage chronic conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, and high blood pressure.
Why is fitness so important when we age
Fitness becomes even more important as we age, and this is why:
- Maintaining muscle mass: As we age, we naturally lose muscle mass and strength, which can make everyday tasks more challenging. Exercise helps maintain muscle mass and strength, which can improve mobility and reduce the risk of falls and injuries.
- Reducing the risk of chronic disease: Exercise can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers. These diseases become more common as we age and can significantly impact our quality of life.
- Improving bone density: Bone density naturally decreases as we age, increasing the risk of fractures and osteoporosis. Exercise that includes weight-bearing activities, such as walking or weightlifting, can help maintain bone density and reduce the risk of bone fractures.
- Improving balance and coordination: Exercise can help improve balance, coordination, and flexibility, reducing the risk of falls and injuries.
- Improving mental health: Exercise can also help improve mood, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve cognitive function, which can be especially important as we age.
Fitness is important for maintaining physical and mental health as we age, and regular exercise can help improve quality of life and independence.
What to expect from a Health and Fitness Wellbeing holiday
A health and fitness holiday can vary depending on the specific program and destination you choose, but in general, you can expect the following:
- Exercise: You will be engaged in daily exercise routines, including yoga, pilates, strength training, cardio workouts, and more. The intensity and duration of the workouts may vary, depending on your fitness level and goals.
- Healthy Eating: You can expect to eat healthy, nutritious food throughout your holiday. Meals may be specially prepared for you based on your dietary preferences and requirements, and you may also receive guidance on how to make healthier food choices in the future.
- Wellness Activities: Your holiday may also include wellness activities such as meditation, spa treatments, mindfulness sessions, and relaxation techniques, aimed at improving your mental and emotional well-being.
- Educational Workshops: You may attend educational workshops on topics such as nutrition, stress management, and healthy lifestyle choices, providing you with knowledge and tools to continue making positive changes to your health and fitness routine even after the holiday is over.
- Social Interaction: You will also have the opportunity to interact with other people who share your interests in health and fitness, providing you with a supportive and encouraging environment to help you achieve your goals.
A health and fitness holiday is a comprehensive wellbeing experience that helps you improve your physical, mental and emotional well-being.
Sport, health and fitness holidays increasing in popularity
There are several reasons why sports and fitness travel are increasing in popularity:
- Health and wellness trends: There has been a growing awareness of the importance of physical fitness and overall health and wellbeing. Many people are looking for ways to incorporate physical activity and exercise into their travel plans.
- Variety of experiences: Sports and fitness travel offer a variety of experiences that cater to different interests and fitness levels. From hiking and cycling to water sports and yoga, there are plenty of options for travelers to choose from.
- Social media: Social media has played a significant role in promoting the idea of healthy living and fitness. Fitness influencers and travel bloggers showcase their active lifestyles and the destinations they visit, inspiring others to follow in their footsteps.
- Increased accessibility: Many destinations now offer a range of fitness options, including yoga retreats, hiking and cycling tours and fitness classes. This has made it easier for people to incorporate physical activity into their travels.
In short, the growing interest in health and wellebeing, the influence of social media, increased accessibility and the variety of experiences available are all contributing to the rise in sports and fitness travel.